CentOS 5, yum update, X11 problems

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Matthew Gillen wrote:
>
>> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>>> I installed CentOS 5 on a laptop, performed a yum update, then, after
>>> everything was patched, instead of bringing me to the X tty window
>>> (tty7) it left me with a text-only tty window.  I chance CNTL-ALT-7
>>> brought me to the waiting window manager login screen.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced this?   Please remind me what file I need to
>>> change to have the system present the window manager at first boot
>>> again.
>>
>> /etc/inittab has a line:
>> id:5:initdefault:
>>
>> where '3' is multi-user+network but console-only, and '5' is that plus
>> xdm/gdm
>
> I thought so - I did check /etc/inittab first thing, and the entry above
> does show true on the system, hense my question to the list to see if
> there is/was anything else to look at...

I just re-read your original problem, and I see now that the problem wasn't
that gdm wasn't starting, it was that it wasn't the default virtual terminal.

Do you know which of xdm, gdm, or kdm you're using?  If you did a default
install it's gdm (Gnome).  You might check the gdm config to see if something
is screwy there.  I'd also look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors (EE) or
warnings (WW).

If you really want to clutch at straws, you might disable the boot-up
framebuffer by removing 'rghb' from the kernel command line.

Matt

believed to be clean.