MySQL RANT

Thanks for the reply. Education is appreciated.

On 6/8/07, Martin Owens <doctormo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>  * Lack of Date/Time arithmetic caused me to have to implement it in
> perl (annoyed)

Out of curiosity, what's missing from this list:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/date-and-time-functions.html

In other database backends I've dealt with, I can't recall seeing many
more than this.

>  * Indexing problems when dealing with multi indexed tables that
> contain incremental values
>  * Creating multi-table queries takes forever and execution just isn't
> efficient although they've been getting better.

Both sound like pretty serious issues.

> My business reason:
>  * MySQL business says you ca't use the GPL for business use when you
> can and they confuse deliberately customers into thinking they have to
> license it under commercial terms.

Yeah, I have a real problem with that too. I'm not opposed to a
business making money from Open Source. That's my business plan, too.

> Other than those things? I wouldn't say I'd fire someone, I'm from
> Europe we don't do that sort of thing. some education by a more
> experienced sys-admin or developer may be order. we don't want people
> to hate postgress just because some heartless jerk fired you for not
> being a genius.

Just trying to learn more. There's a lot of partisan and/or
out-of-date information out there, and it isn't always easy to
separate the wheat from the chaff...

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC