MySQL RANT

>    Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 23:11:17 -0400 (EDT)
>    From: markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org
>
>    > Query planners and join strategies are nice if your application
>    > is going to put heavy demands on the relevant parts of the
>    > database.  If you have a very small database that isn't going to
>    > grow very much in size or complexity, and you don't need ACID
>    > compliance, transactional semantics, and all that, what's the
>    > problem?
>
>    Well, here's the thing, based on technical merit, what makes MySQL
>    a good decision over something like PostgreSQL? My statement still
>    stands, a professional makes decisions based on merit and can
>    document the decision process. Describe *any* process where MySQL
>    seems like a good idea, again, based on merit.
>
> I didn't say "technical" merit.  Good engineering isn't simply picking
> the best technical solution; it's picking the best solution *for the
> job*.

I would submit that the "best technical solution" is the best "solution"
"for the job" otherwise it would not be a "solution."

> There may be other issues -- resource consumption, configuration,
> time to deployment,

All of are *part* of technical merit.

> etc -- that may outweigh the purely
> technical merits.

You are assuming "technical" merit is some sort of subset. Technical merit
is that hard facts of the choice, excluding personal preference. Use the
WHOLE process and tell me how one can choose MySQL on technical merit.

> Your blanket implication that MySQL is so inferior
> that its use is prima facie evidence of incompetence is a rather
> strong statement.

Well, when a guy who has been working with databases for over 20 years has
a strong opinion about databases, I don't see how that can be a sign of
incompetence. I would argue that if he didn't, he'd be incompetent.

> I haven't installed or configured databases, so I can't actually speak
> to the merits of MySQL vs. PostgreSQL.

Exactly my point, RATHER than learn about *why* one might have an adverse
opinion about something, you would rather remain uninformed. Why do you
try to argue a point about which you admit you have no knowledge?

believed to be clean.