MySQL Discussion

markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> For anyone interested, I strongly suggest some research.

I did do a bit of searching for articles comparing MySQL with
PostgreSQL, seeing as that is the mostly likely alternative to be used
by an open source project that needs a database server (as opposed to a
local database, where SQLite might be the pick):

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mysql/article.php/3288951 (2003)
http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743 (2004)
http://monstera.man.poznan.pl/wiki/index.php/Mysql_vs_postgres (2005)

but all I could find was stuff from several years ago that pre-dates the
introduction of many significant features in MySQL.

Anyone find better resources?

> ...Oracle or PostreSQL, you will NEVER again
> look at MySQL the same way.

I haven't had occasion to work with PostgreSQL, but spent several years
working with Oracle after many years working with Sybase, and while the
MySQL of 5 years ago wouldn't cut it for serious database needs, for
light usage it was far more enjoyable to work with. And in the last 5
years it has been steadily bolting on enterprise features. Whether they
perform well is another matter.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro