Graphics card

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 05:21:52PM -0400, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> I don't want to use closed source drivers, period.  I understand that
> that might mean no 3D acceleration, but that doesn't particularly
> matter to me (the most graphics-intensive thing I do is edit large
> still photographs).  What I don't know is whether any of the lower
> cost graphics cards out there are not fully supported even in 2D by
> Xorg 7.2.
>
> (BTW, I'll be happy to take suggestions about motherboards, if anyone
> has any particular experiences.  I'm agnostic between AMD and Intel.)

If you buy an Intel system with an Intel graphics set, you get
open source 3D X drivers. Performance isn't staggeringly
amazing, but it's reasonable for any casual use.

If you shop carefully for ATI Radeon cards, you can get open
source 3D. Most of them have open source 2D.

The nv driver for NVidia cards is open source and does 2D for
most of those cards.

Looking at x.org documentation should be enlightening.

-dsr-

--