Graphics card

Robert La Ferla wrote:
> On a related note, is there a AGP based graphics card that can
> accelerate HDTV video?  i.e.  I have 1440x1080 videos that I want to
> display on a 1024x768 projector using mplayer.

I don't have any experience with HD, and this isn't exactly what you asked
about, but I've noticed drastic differences in the output drivers for
mplayer.  For instance, if you've got a high-end ATI/Nvidia card w/
proprietary drivers, you might want to try the openGL driver.

On certain machines, the default was not good, and video was very choppy.
Simply changing the output driver fixed it.

Run 'mplayer -vo help' to see what the options are.

Where this affects you is that a poor choice of output driver can shift all
the work to the main CPU, making it not matter how nice your GPU is.

> Is there anything out there that can display the video without dropping
> frames and losing sync with the audio?

I think you have an either/or problem here.  Mplayer can be told to drop
frames so that it doesn't lose sync with the audio (-framedrop).  If your
machine isn't fast enough, something has to give...

HTH,
Matt

believed to be clean.