My AMD Athlon 64x2 upgrade

markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Well, this may be my last installment about my upgrade.
>
> To recap:
>
> I had 32bit AMD system with 1G ram and Kubuntu 6.x
>
> I upgraded to 64 bit dual core AMD Athlon 64X2 with 4gig of ram with two
> monitors on an nVidia card.
>
> I had to buy a new PCI-X video card, the newer machines don't support AGP.
>
> I ran 32bit Kubuntu for a while.
>

> I just installed a new SATA drive and installed Kubuntu Feisty 7.03 64bit.
>
> I'd like to write something interesting, but aside from having to use
> "Safe Graphical" install because of the nVidia card, every thing just
> worked. (Including the nVidia drivers that allow dual head)
>
> I'm very psyched. If I find any weirdness, I'll post about it, but if you
> had concerns about 64 bit, come on it, the water's fine.

I recently upgraded my computer to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core architecture also. I initially tried using Ubuntu Feisty
64 bit version but ran into a few minor problems with some of
the multimedia codecs (or lack thereof), flash plugin and the
fact that there is no 64 bit version of Thunderbird 2.0
available (more of an annoyance really, not a problem). So at
this point I'm back to running the 32 bit version of Ubuntu
Feisty 7.04 and I'm happy with that for the time being.

I'm interested in finding out if you were able to get the
multimedia codecs and plugins working properly with the 64 bit
version of Firefox. Also, does the latest shockwave flash
plugin work properly? If so I may give it another try.

Thanks!

believed to be clean.