My AMD Athlon 64x2 upgrade

Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> On 6/16/07, Mike <lake.wind77-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I recently upgraded my computer to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
>> Core architecture also. I initially tried using Ubuntu Feisty
>> 64 bit version but ran into a few minor problems with some of
>> the multimedia codecs (or lack thereof), flash plugin and the
>
> Codecs are there, but not enabled by default due to licensing
> restrictions.  However, all the codecs are available from official
> repositories by going to System -> Administration -> Software Sources
> (or editing your APT sources manually).  However, you won't need any
> codecs should you choose to utilize VLC of course :-)

<snip>

> Thunderbird 2.0 is included in Ubuntu Gutsy, not Feisty, since it was
> still beta on release date.  You could always install from source,
> grab a backport, or find someone's pre-packaged AMD64 DEB if you
> really can't wait.  You have the power...

Thanks for the reply Kristian. I think that I'll take another
look at Feisty 64 but I'm going to install it in VMware for
now just to be sure that everything I use on a regular basis
works. As for Thunderbird 2.0, I installed that from source
for Feisty 32. I was using it with OpenSUSE 10.2 prior to
switching over to Ubuntu and I didn't want to take a step
backward to 1.5.

Not to get too off topic but I do want to thank you. Your
posts to the UMASS LUG are the reason that I eventually tried
Ubuntu (followed all the links you posted, etc...). I had been
using OpenSUSE / SuSE since 2001 exclusively on my production
machine. I got very frustrated with the zmd package management
/ updater in OpenSUSE  (I realize they are making changes in
10.3 and I also realize that smart and apt were options for
OpenSUSE but at this point, I'm happy where I am).

I installed Ubuntu on my test machine when Dapper first
arrived. It took me until Feisty to finally make the move on
my production computer but I'm very glad I did. So far I've
installed Feisty on my Dad's computer (he's 76 years old and
is much happier with Feisty than he was with OpenSUSE), my
wife's laptop, and later this week I'll be helping my daughter
install it on her computer. There's no looking back now!

As always, thanks for the info.

Mike

believed to be clean.