OK, you win.

I have been trying to get Fedora 7 running on my new Dell Latitude D820
(2.0Ghz Intel dual core, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive) for a few weeks now,
and everything is working great, except for power management.  Much like
my daughter, I simply can't get it to sleep and wake up on command.

F7 uses a completely new power management/HAL subsystem that, in their
own words, "will work for some laptops that it didn't work on before,
and not work on some laptops that FC6 worked fine on."  I have tried all
the quirks, and even the handy and clever decision tree page
(http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/)
but it's not working.  This is a deal-breaker for F7.

I was going to load FC6 on it last night, but then I got to thinking
about [K]Ubuntu again.  When I look at their website, it seems like
there's the server release and the desktop release, and there's no "all
of the above" option.

Yes, I looked at the documentation.  It doesn't explicitly say whether
these installs feed from different repositories, or a single repository,
or whatever.

If you install the desktop version, can you then install all server
stuff from the repository?

Is there any downside to doing that, like you won't get notified of
updates, etc?

If I install MySQL, will I be arrested as a Communist?

believed to be clean.