Ubuntu versions

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Kristian Hermansen wrote:

> On 6/18/07, Tom Metro <blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> OK, thanks for the clarification. I guess the exception here is the LTS
>> version, which by its "long term" nature, at any given moment, may be
>> based on a version that's one or more releases old.
>
> RIght.  Well, a certain release may be labeled as LTS.  Ubuntu Dapper
> 6.06 is the only release thus far.  The next will probably be Ubuntu
> ?????? 9.04...
>
>> I wouldn't recommend a GUI on a server either, but David has previously
>> explained that his main machine needs to be a compromise of desktop and
>> server. My suggestion of using a VM for the server portion would have to
>> be combined with (preferably hardware) firewall rules that permit only
>> the server VM to receive inbound connections from the WAN. It also is
>> far more practical to run SELinux with highly restrictive rules on a VM
>> that has only a few specific functions, rather than on a general purpose
>> desktop.
>
> Good point.  Yes, it is better to isolate a server's functionality
> from a security mindset...
> --
> Kristian Hermansen

Has anyone tried a server version on a laptop?   As I think I'd mentioned
before, I'm using may laptop at home as a server.   The only way I've been
able to prevent the hard drive, and maybe the NIC, from powering down, is
to establish a cron job every 12 hours - 1100 for an updatedb, and 2300
for an ntp query.

I wonder if the server-based 7.04 would view my laptop (Compaq Armada
m700) differently and NOT spin down the drive and power off the nic?
Or, even if it was a different laptop, having the same events occur?

Thanks for insights.

Scott

believed to be clean.