Ubuntu versions

On 6/20/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott-3s7WtUTddSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> scott at scott-laptop:~$ laptop-detect
> scott at scott-laptop:~$ echo $?
> 1

So, you don't have laptop-mode package installed, and your
laptop-detect seems to think you DO NOT have a laptop.  Are you sure
the power management is due to being a laptop?  It could just be
standard power management settings for desktops.  Wonder why it didn't
detect a laptop.  You can see what laptop-mode does for yourself, it
is just a shell script...

> ls /etc/default

Right.  The config file is not there since you don't have that package
installed.

> As for /etc/acpi, I chmod 000'd all the scripts.
>
> Any other ideas?  It would be nice to not have to use cron to keep the
> system in server mode vs laptop mode.

OK, chmodding them may work.  However, did you try using a -server
kernel rather than a -generic?

$ sudo aptitude install linux-server
--
Kristian Hermansen