Multiple monitor setup

Jack Daniel wrote:
> I need some guidance from the assembled masses- I want to set up dual
> monitors on a Linux workstation and would like to avoid pain wherever
> possible.  I am partial to Ubuntu, but if another distro would simplify the
> process I'm game for trying it.  Should I use a multi-head card, or two
> individual cards?  What else?

When I went on my Linux distro quest, that was one of the main things
I needed - good dual monitor support. The only one that worked out of
the box for me (I have an ATI x850 card with dual outputs) was openSUSE
10.2. Ubuntu, MEPSIS, PCLinuxOS and PC-BSD all failed miserably when
it came time to just turn it on and go. With openSUSE, I just fired
up YaST (the config tool), opened the part for X, turn on dual head
support and it just worked. And I haven't looked back.

YMMV.

You can read the final posting (with links to the previous two) on my
quest here:

http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/archives/000856.html#000856

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold-Xst6pqGrDNhg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, an Open OS weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.

believed to be clean.