How to configure PAM in Centos 5 64-bit?

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I'm new the the PAM world and have CentOS 5 64-bit installed on a system.
> I want to tweak some of the system-auth module settings, but the top of
> the file says anything configured in that file will get overwritten, as
> it is autogenerated by authconfig.
>
> I checked out authconfig, and it doesn't seem clear to me how to make
> the changes I need via authconfig.
>
> So, where do I need to look?   What utility/file do I touch?

You can go ahead and hand-edit the files  in /etc/pam.d, you just have to
make sure not to run authconfig (or [system|redhat]-config-authentication)
ever again, or your hand edits may be overwritten.

Depending on what your edits are, they might not be overwritten, so you
might want to experiment a bit so you know if it's going to be an issue for
you.  But the safest option may be to write a post-authconfig script that
makes your changes after authconfig gets run.  That way it's easy for other
people to manage the system.

HTH,
Matt

believed to be clean.