high false positive with Gmail

We've talked about Gmail's spam filtering on this list before, so in
that light I'll mention that I just discovered I'm experiencing a fairly
high false positive rate.

Several months back I switched over a bunch of mailing list
subscriptions to my Gmail account on the theory that I could make use of
Gmail's search tools to search through the archives (though I've yet to
make use of that). This seemed to work fine, and I haven't used the web
UI in months, instead downloading the messages via POP3 to Thunderbird.

Today a rare spam made it through to my inbox, so I logged in to the web
UI to tag it as spam, and while there decided to check the spam folder.
I was troubled by finding 3 or 4 messages incorrectly marked as spam
just on the first screen of 50 messages. After reviewing all 333
messages, 27 were incorrectly categorized as spam, or 8%. That's not so hot.

(The 8% is a bit misleading though, as a false positive rate would
normally be stated as a percentage of the overall mail volume.
Theoretically the search "in:anywhere after:2007/6/18 before:2007/8/19"
should return a count covering the same range as the spam folder, but
Gmail reports only 80 matches, yet perpetually boosts that number as you
page through the results. Using my downloaded message archives, I'd
estimate the number of messages to be around 5000 for that time period,
so the false positive rate is more like 0.5%.)

I tagged them all as not spam, but as I understand it, that will only
whitelist the specific senders, and not necessarily solve the long term
problem. It seems Gmail has become a bit too aggressive in their spam
filtering.

Hopefully someday they'll add support for IMAP, which will make it much
easier to keep tabs on the spam folder.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro