Using Fdisk partitioning new space on RHEL4

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:15:47PM -0400, stephen goldman wrote:
> Hello Blu,
>         I am not sure exactly how into a file system on free space not configured during the installation process. So I am asking for assistance.
>
>         I read about using fdisk. I wish to install a file system on /dev/sdb
>

> /dev/sda        raid 1
>     sda1        1  13
>     sda2        14  8908
>
> /dev/sdb
>
>                     1  17817   139756  free space   raid 5

OK, you create a filesystem on /dev/sdb by running
fdisk /dev/sdb
and using the handy menu-based system to create a partition.
We'll call it /dev/sdb1.

Then you create the filesystem on that partition with a mkfs
program, e.g.

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

Then you mount that filesystem at a convenient location by
creating a directory in that location:

mkdir /tmp

and then adding a line to /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdsb1      /tmp      ext3   defaults   0       1

and then, finally mounting it:

mount /tmp

Perhaps you need a good book on systems administration?

-dsr-

--

believed to be clean.