Please help with installation problem on IBM NetVista desktop

Re:  (BLU discuss)  NetVista machines

-----Original Message-----
From:    Bill Horne wrote on Tue, 7 Aug 2007 2:29 pm
To:         BLU Discussion List <discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Subject:    Please help with installation problem on  IBM NetVista
desktop

>  Thanks for reading this.
>
>  I'm trying to put Debian Sarge on an IBM NetVista desktop machine,
>  but it dies just at the point the Debian installer is detecting the
hard disks.
>  If you have experience with the NetVista machines,
>  please pass  along any info you have.... (snip)

Hi Bill:

You didn't say how long you have had the  IBM NetVista desktop machine,
what operating system (if any ) it now has, etc. And if the machine was
in storage,
or what prior to your decision to install Debian Sarge.

Our family just got a refurbished IBM M50 ThinkCentre,
which came with a Windows-XP.
I wanted to keep the XP operating system
as my wife wants to use it with some of her imaging software.
However, in a week or so we will install SUSE-10.2
and set-up dual boot, etc. etc. (probably using a second hard disk).

However, to get the machine running we need to to install both
Microsoft's patches
along with IBM's and Intel's.  To do this we initially used an (old)
Ubuntu live disk
and went back to simple USB mouse (in lieu of the Logitech optical
mouse)
to set some of the initial stuff.

We also added memory as the machine came with very little.

IBM/Lenovo  has lot of good info on their old machines; try:
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4MVU6P.html>

Most IBM NetVista's at one time had Windows 2K (or XP) installed on
them.
Did (does) yours ???  Are you dual booting or did you get rid of
the Microsoft operating system and re-format your hard disk???

I did a quick google search:  Christopher Michaud gave his experience
using a Knoppix Live CD to Recover and Restore IBM NetVista machines
which originally had Win 2K on them.
<http://gaetc-ejournal.org/technical/reuse/reuse.htm>

He started with an old copy of Knoppix live CD ,
got the machine up and running, and then upgraded from there ...

As I said, we are doing essentially the same with our M50 ThinkCentre
only we are using an old Ubuntu live CD instead of the Knoppix.
Once we have the system running,
we will upgrade drivers, kernel, etc.

Hope this helps ( as you can guess, I have already told you more than I
know,
as my son is doing the bulk of the work. )

HAND,
Gar