Telco switches to Ubuntu from RHEL for one reason...

On 8/8/07, Eric C <eric-yrHdaQSNc4gdnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> oh lord.  that comment is useless.  was it apt that
> blew his mind?

We've had this discussion before.  Ubuntu now offers commercial
packages in their hosted repositories for businesses.  Yes, you can do
this now...

$ sudo aptitude install vmware-server zimbra sun-java6-jdk...

You can't do that on Fedora/RHEL.  You may also be unaware that Ubuntu
Server offers a one-click LAMP install and will include a one-click
LDAP install in Gutsy.  IMHO, this is pretty innovative.

The problem I see is that RHEL's package repository is too stale, and
Fedora is not geared toward businesses.  I have found Ubuntu to be a
happy medium, and found it quite useful in both desktop/server usage.
You may think otherwise, and that is your choice.  That's what Linux
is all about.  If you are a hacker, it's all a bunch of bits anyways.
I presume the goal is to make the arranging of those bits easier for
adminstrators in a business environment.  I can hack on any distro,
but I choose Ubuntu.  Again, it's all just a bunch of bits, right?

So, let's forget about elitism and learn from each other.  If Ubuntu
made some strides in packaging commercial applications, and other
people find it useful, why don't we incorporate that into other
distros?  If it's a good idea, others will follow.  Maybe Fedora sees
the commercial repository as a bad idea.  However, your users will
ultimately decide.  Not all Ubuntu users ar n00bs :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen

believed to be clean.