Best way to install a custom kernel on multiple nodes

> Vinay Perneti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a custom kernel (2.6.21) with some nfs stuff modified. I know how to
>> build and install the kernel on a single machine. However, I was trying to
>> find the best way to install it on multiple nodes. One of the obvious ways
>> is to make rpm packages and use them ( The nodes i'm trying to install the
>> kernel run Redhat enterprise edition 5).
>>
>> I was trying to make rpms for the kernel packages using instructions on this
>> link "http://grid-it.cnaf.infn.it/index.php?rpmbuild&type=1";. However, that
>> didn't go so well cuz it required a config_smp to be present, which i did
>> not have on the RHEL 5 i was working on.

I have been making custom kernels for a while, never on
RHEL, but I would think the process would be the same since
I use the instructions from the kernel source. On Fedora,
once I have done:
make oldconfig
make xconfig

I do:
make binrpm-pkg

which creates an rpm with the kernel image and the modules.
Running RPM to install the new kernel puts everything in the
right place except for making the initrd.img and editing
grub. If you are doing a lot of installs then I would make a
script to do the last two.

Jim

believed to be clean.