Active Directory

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> The main infrastructure component holding back Linux in large
> corporations, from what I have seen, are Active Directory...

Active Directory is a solution to a problem Microsoft invented.

I've never understood what Active Directory provides that you can't get
from LDAP. I know they're different. I know Microsoft has followed it's
usual "embrace and extend" MO. But what useful capabilities are in
Active Directory that are absent from the open source alternatives?

> ...and Shared Calendaring. ... Zimbra may solve this.

Yes. There are countless shared calendaring solutions. Zimbra supposedly
has one of the better implementations that's also integrated with an
email client, so it makes for a convenient Outlook replacement.

Anyone on the list actually a regular user of Zimbra? If so, is it the
commercially supported version? I'm curious to know how vibrant the
community is around the non-commercial version of Zimbra.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA