Re: MythTV storage

 David Kramer wrote:
> Before I decide on one 750GB or so drive or two 500GB drives...

I recently did some research into drives of this capacity, and I was
disappointed to see that my preferred vendor, Seagate, was getting
rather poor reliability reviews for the 750GB capacity.

Pricewise, 500GB seems to be the sweet spot.

> ...MythTV storage groups... If I can't use that to put
> content across two drives, then I'll get one big drive.

There's always LVM and/or RAID. By as Dan said, storage groups should do
what you want (though I haven't tried them myself).

My current MythTV drive array is built with some drives that were
intended for another application. Now that I'm looking to free up at
least a couple of those 320 GB drives to go back to their intended
purpose, I'm considering my options.

I need to take another look and see if it is still not possible to grow
a RAID5 array (last time I tried it didn't work; supposedly fixed in
newer kernels). If so, then one option I was considering is a pair of
RAID1 mirrors, joined via LVM. Though with storage groups, it's now
possible to dispense with the added complication of LVM. (Setting up LVM
was really pretty simple, it does however add another layer that could
be problematic if a drive (array) fails.)

Dan Ritter wrote:
> If you use SVN MythTV, you can.

That's the down side. It hasn't made it into a release yet, and thus no
convenient packages. Although for those on Ubuntu, supposedly you can
get packaged nightly builds from the Mythbuntu[1] guys.

1. http://www.mythbuntu.org/

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro