Re: MythTV storage

 Tom Metro wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
>> Before I decide on one 750GB or so drive or two 500GB drives...
>
> I recently did some research into drives of this capacity, and I was
> disappointed to see that my preferred vendor, Seagate, was getting
> rather poor reliability reviews for the 750GB capacity.
>
> Pricewise, 500GB seems to be the sweet spot.

Sound advice.  Thanks.  Maybe I'll do a 500GB for MythTV alone then
another 500MB for other data, and a MythTV storage group when I get up
to that level of the software.

>> ...MythTV storage groups... If I can't use that to put
>> content across two drives, then I'll get one big drive.
>
> There's always LVM and/or RAID. By as Dan said, storage groups should do
> what you want (though I haven't tried them myself)

I have an irrational fear of RAID, borne out of the fact that I'm 70%
Software Engineer 30% SysAdmin, so I have some pretty big holes in my
knowledge in that area, and also because I've seen enough recovery
horror stories (when you're not using the forms of RAID with more
redundancy and auto failover) that I'm not sure I could manage it in an
emergency.

If only I was doing this around an installfest...

> Dan Ritter wrote:
>> If you use SVN MythTV, you can.

I think I would rather get the extra drive space and wait for that
feature to be soup before I use that drive space.  I think I can limp
along on 500GB of TV viewing backlog ;)

> That's the down side. It hasn't made it into a release yet, and thus no
> convenient packages. Although for those on Ubuntu, supposedly you can
> get packaged nightly builds from the Mythbuntu[1] guys.
>
> 1. http://www.mythbuntu.org/

My situation  is way too complicated for that kind of solution, since
this server is doing all sorts of other things.  Hence the need for the
  multicore processor.

believed to be clean.