VLC streaming works (was: hdhomerun and vlc for Linux)

[irrelevant discussion of .configure options, libraries, and include
files snipped]

I have it.  I decided to take a step back and fix the networking
problem where it insists on using both the wired ethernet and the
wireless at the same time.  With only the wired network running, my
build can read the stream from upstairs fine.

(incidentally, the system changes I made yesterday in order to build
vlc now cause the distribution vlc to dump core before it even opens
the window.)

So does anyone have a good idea of how to tell ubuntu to do something
more like what Scott and I did, or at least to make what Scott and I
did less painful?

The next step in the serial adventure "Bringing Laura's TV into the
21st Century" will be when I get my new antenna delivered, later this
week, and we see if that makes a difference.

Another step that should happen soon is getting a real hdtv display
and/or tuner.  I'm vascillating between:

         getting a 24 inch monitor, and probably also a tuner box. 24
         inches is too small, but I will be able to use it on the
         desktop later if I go for a real TV set.

         Getting a 27 or 32 inch tv.  (32 is a little bit too big for
         the space my current tv is in, but 27 is a bit smaller than I
         want).

Any advice from people who have done either of these things and are
happy or dissatisfied with them will be welcome.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011

believed to be clean.