unable to mount local fs

 RH5 server:

/etc/fstab shows the partition with its proper configuration.

I can mount it just fine as root: mount /dev/sdb1 /home

works like a charm, and ls /home shows the files.

Reboot, and initial errors say "Mount Local Filesystems"  [Fail]
(refers to /dev/sdb1)

System come up fine, but a df does not show /home mounted.

Worked fine until I tried to get a client workstation going on nis/nfs,
then I somehow lost /home.

I tried to create a script in /etc/init.d/0mount with /bin/mount /dev/sdb1
/home but that didn't seem to do anything.

/var/log/messages doesn't seem to show anything obvious.

I _feel_ like I'm missing something incredibly simple, but cannot figure
out what.    I reviewed services, and amd is running (no services were
changed).

What could have happened?   Why won't it mount?

It is either going to be something blatantly simple that I'm just missing,
or I'm going to learn a good new method/tool.

Thanks.

Scott

believed to be clean.