Re: Dell's "Open" Software

 Richard Royston wrote:
> ...I learnt that the hard drive restore CD that Dell supplies only
> restores some of the partitions on the hard drive. ...Dell, as a
> matter of company policy, will not support their restoration. They
> also will not support the restoration of the boot sector.
> This seems to be an even harsher attitude towards users than
> Microsoft's!

Is it really? Hasn't Dell done the same thing with diagnostic partitions
on machines it supplies with Windows? (My direct experience with Dell
has been too limited to know. I generally avoid them.)

In any case, what difference does it make? Restore CDs are made for
people who need to reinstall the OS because support told them that it is
the only way to solve their problem and they don't know any better.

I've never reinstalled an operating system on one of my own machines.
The time spent customizing the environment is too great to throw it away
just because some problem cropped up. And because of that customization,
the only meaningful way to do a restore is from backups that you've
created. I second the recommendation to use Mondo.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA