Ubuntu 7.10 on HP dv9500 - Blank Screen and Weird Operations

 Folks I usually just lurk around this email list but now I finally have
a questions to post.

I picked up a new HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook (AMD 64x2) and I
attempting to get Ubuntu 7.10 working on it. I say "working" because it
seemed to somewhat install. The first problem I noticed was when I
rebooted to actually launch Ubuntu, all I got was a blank screen. I then
booted into safe mode and I was able to get a command prompt. Once I had
a root shell I attempted to startup X and it worked, yet I got a bunch
of complaints about the "switching user applet" that is new to 7.10.

Anyways my next step was to su - to my user and try to launch X again
but that failed, almost like it was hanging? So I moved back to root and
relaunched X just to poke around. The strange thing was that I was
receiving random errors on applications and even permissions, sorry I
can't recall the exact messages.

I have been searching the ubuntu forms regarding potential solutions
(such as flags within the image booting, or X configuration) but none of
them worked. So if anyone has had this problem, or have any clues I
would greatly appreciate it. In the meantime I am going to go back to my
old distro of Suse 10.1 and see if that works.

thanks
-george

believed to be clean.