BLU wiki

 BLU now has a wiki:

http://blu.wikispaces.com/

It's intended to supplement the BLU main site. Here are some of the
things I see it being used for:

     * Document items of local interest to the BLU community, such as
       local vendors, resources, and organizations.
     * Answer Frequently Asked Questions that arise on the mailing list.
     * Highlight threads of interest from the mailing list.
     * Provide a few links to the most useful resources elsewhere on the
       web.

But of course it'll end up covering whatever the community cares to
write about. I'd just recommend avoiding being redundant with all the
existing Linux/UNIX sites out there.

There are a few things we need to decide on how the wiki is set up. One
is the license. Currently it is set to use the GNU Free Documentation
License[1]. We could also use Creative Commons Attribution 3.0[2], with
several sub-options (Attribution, Share-Alike, No-Derivative-Works,
Non-Commercial; see link for details), no license, or something else.
The wiki software has boilerplate options for GNU and CC.

1. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html#TOC1
2. http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0

The other is the restrictions on editing. We currently have a choice of
either letting anyone edit pages, including guest users, or restricting
edits to people who both register with Wikispaces (the organization
hosting the wiki) and request membership with the BLU "space", which
requires administrator approval. (Once a member, people can edit without
approval.) Currently we're using the latter option. Ideally I'd let
anyone edit as long as they were registered users, but I'd prefer to
exclude guest users to minimize vandalism. Unfortunately the software
doesn't yet support that combination of permissions.

You can read more about the Wikispaces software and what it can do here:
http://www.wikispaces.com/help+index

Unlike most wikis, Wikispace supports a visual editor (WYSIWYG), so for
casual editing you don't need to learn the wiki markup language. The
visual editor is sometimes buggy, so there is a regular text editor
available, and for that you of course need to know the wiki markup:

http://www.wikispaces.com/wikitext

Some feature highlights include monitoring via email and RSS, tags[1],
ability to integrate media[2] (video, audio), blogs[3], RSS from other
sites[4], and various widgets[5], like polls, calendars, spreadsheets,
chat clients, video players, maps, etc.

1. http://blog.wikispaces.com/2007/11/tags-tags-everywhere.html
2. http://blog.wikispaces.com/2007/09/play-your-media-on-wikispaces.html
3. http://www.wikispaces.com/blog+integration