Re: dump or Legato Networker?

 >Different situations require different methods, but a
>combination of Amanda, rsync and custom scripts can handle
>anything.

I'd agree with this statement, but as your data size reaches several TB
Amanda+rsync+custom scripts approach may become very complicated.

Amanda doesn't support multi-tape backup, i.e. it's not able to backup to
many tapes at the same time, but commercial packages like Legato do. That's
mean that full backup of several TB will take a long time.
Amanda doesn't support NDMP, so if you try to backup a lot of data over the
network you need to use rsync because NFS throughput is not great , but
rsync will run out of memory if you'll try to sync millions of files.
Also, if you are using multi-slot/tape backup libraries, then features like
automatic tape rotation/archiving/deletion may not be available to you
because unfortunately none of the large backup libraries are officially
compatible with open source backup software.
I am sure there is always a workaround for anything, but I think backup is
the only area where I could not find a comprehensive open-source alternative
to the commercial packages for the situations where size of archived data
can reach many terabytes.

I was always surprised why none of the open source backup packages
implements NDMP. NDMP support is really a most significant advantage of
commercial backup software.

Eugene.