Re: Comparison of BSD vs Linux? (here goes the flame war!)

 I've never been impressed with BSD zealots' claims.

For instance, one common claim is that BSD supports more
hardware than Linux does. I looked into that claim back in
1995, specifically at the 680x0 architecture. I found that
Linux worked on a wide range of 680x0 systems, and BSD
worked on those same systems, but that Linux counted
them as one architecture while BSD counted them as
a dozen different vendors.

Many of the other claims I heard seemed to be about
features of current BSD that were sorely lacking in Linux
five or ten years earlier.

In the end, I think the BSD vs Linux argument is no more
meaningful than the Fedora vs Debian, Gnome vs KDE,
and Vi vs Emacs arguments. Or Coke vs Pepsi, for that
matter.