Re: Comparison of BSD vs Linux? (here goes the flame war!)

 On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 11:30:29AM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I'm in a class at Usenix/Lisa and the instructor is a BSD fan and hates
> Linux.  I'd like to get insight from the list of viewpoints, security,
> comparisons, package availability, etc, of the differences between the
> basic worlds of UNIX-like distros.

It's not a battle worth fighting.

OpenBSD sacrifices everything else for a particular view of
security. If you like that view and can use it, do so.

FreeBSD wants to be a general-purpose UNIX OS. It does an OK
job of that, but it has no particular claim to fame otherwise.

NetBSD might get back on its feet sometime soon. They used to
claim better portability than anything else, but that's no
longer the case.

MacOS X sacrifices everything else to be a user-friendly desktop
OS. It has a BSD userland.

Solaris largely focuses on being a high-reliability server OS.
It's not a BSD, but what the heck.

All of these really want you to become a partisan zealot on
their behalf. There's nothing wrong with them in moderation, but
you;ll go blind if you drink too much of their Kool-Aid.

Meanwhile, the differences between Debian derivatives and Red
Hat derivatives and Build-From-Source initiatives and special
purpose Linux distros are on the same scale as the differences
between BSDs.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.
Tyranny is something that creeps up on you.

http://tao.merseine.nu:81/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.

believed to be clean.