Re: Comparison of BSD vs Linux? (here goes the flame war!)

 On Nov 15, 2007, at 12:02 PM, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> BSD does not run on laptops as well as Linux does -- hardware support
> is lacking.

there are some beautiful laptops which run BSD, have full hardware
support, hibernate/sleep/wireless, developer toolchain, x11, all right
out of the box: apple.com/macbook and apple.com/macbookpro

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/unix.html has some more info.

> Package Availability:
> Linux wins hands down.  Think of all the software that is available
> out-of-the-box for Linux but not BSD.  You should even consider

> proprietary software.  Can you run VMware, Skype, etc on BSD?  I never
> tried.  Can you have the latest Gnome desktop running on OpenBSD
> without breaking everything?  Possibly.  How about video driver
> packages?  Rarely do I see 64-bit BSD driver support...

agreed on open source software. fink.sf.net and macports.org provide
many packages for os x. and all the commercial packages you mentioned
are ported to os x (except notably vmware server console -- i run that
in xp running in vmware on os x).

believed to be clean.