Re: forcing a fsck of /

 On Nov 23, 2007, at 13:40, Stephen Adler wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I want to force a file system check of my root partition. The
> reason being, that my system froze, and I had to hit the reset
> switch. The system booted right up, using the file system
> journaling to recover the root partition, but I'd like to be for
> cirtain the file system is OK. I tried booting using the rescue
> mode of my fc8 dvd, but I wasn't able to dismount /mnt/sysimage,
> where my root partition was mounted. Any ideas?

When the rescue prog comes up, tell it not to try to mount your
system, then you can run an fsck there just fine. Otherwise, umount /
mnt/sysimage/{proc,sys,some other stuff}, then you can umount /mnt/
sysimage. Automatic checks at system boot time are generally
triggered off of the presence of /.autofsck, which is created every
boot, and deleted on every clean shutdown. Thus if the file is there
on startup, we assume shutdown wasn't clean.

So you can either create that file while booted in the rescue
environment, or create it booted into your actual system and make it
immutable or something to prevent it getting removed on shutdown
(just remember to undo that afterwards).

--
Jarod Wilson
[hidden email]