Re: [OT] MP3 player for 8 GB SD support?

 On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 01:09:01PM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I'd also like the storage to be solid state, and not mechanical (i.e. hard
> drive of any kind).
>
> I also don't want to spend any more than $100.

If you're asking for 8GB of flash for under $100, that's probably not
going to happen (at least not today, unless maybe you happen across a
really good sale).  If you want a player that has less than 8GB but
supports microSD, take a look at the Sandisk Sansa e260 4GB for around
$75.  Though, for just over $100 you can get the E280 with 8GB.
Pricewatch has them for $109 at the moment.  If you're interested in
installing Rockbox on it, DO NOT get the Rhapsody model (280R) (it's
more expensive anyway).

Warning: you can copy songs to it under Linux, but I wasn't able to
upload  playlists to it from Linux.  The device lets you copy them,
but doesn't seem to recognize that they're there.  I saw some reports
on the Net that it works, and some that said they couldn't get it to
work.  Might be a problem with different firmware, or possibly a
pebkac issue. ;-)  Natively, the device uses Windows playlists which
are stored in UTF-16, so you need some kind of script to do the
conversion for you.  AFAICT you also need to upload them using the
Windows software, or else like I said, the device won't recognize them.

However, the device is supported by rockbox, which I installed on my
sansa and never looked back... :)

There was another company I was looking at who made an 8GB and 12GB
flash player, but IIRC it didn't have an SD slot.  It was a weird name
starting with a 'C' but I can't recall, and couldn't find it with a
cursory search.  That player is fully supported under Linux.

-=-=-=-=-