Re: best practices for an external hard drive that many hosts might use?

 I'll second what the other Brendan says and say this discussion was very
helpful. Thanks to all who made suggestions.

It appears that it is simply impossible, in Linux, to do what I want to do
using a Linux-native filesystem as native filesystems are always mounted
with normal Unix permissions enabled. After much hemming and hawing on
Thursday and Friday, I decided to use the Linux command mkfs.ntfs to format
it as an NTFS volume. (FAT32 is unacceptable because of a hard limit of 4GB
per file, and with a 300GB disk I am likely to drop large backup archives
onto it.)

It feels weird to be using a reverse-engineered proprietary filesystem
because the drivers for the native filesystem don't satisfy a rather simple
requirement of disabling permissions and having the whole mounted filesystem
owned by the user that mounted it. In the end, NTFS gets the job done, and
of course it's compatible with Windows and OS X.

(META: If I understand correctly, I accidentally just sent this reply to
only Brendan. Sorry about that. The list's messages don't seem to have a
proper reply-to header.)

On 11/24/07, Brendan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is good info. I am not the OP, but I'll save the post for when I use
> XP
> someday.

believed to be clean.