Re: debugging and fixing wireless rt61pci driver

 On Thursday 29 November 2007 12:29:00 am Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> I ran into this bug, and I want to fix it myself...
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/139832
>
> What I am confused about is that there seems to have been a large
> change between Feisty (2.6.20) and Gutsy (2.6.22).  I pulled down the
> 2.6.20 kernel source from packages.ubuntu.com and was about to diff it
> against the latest 2.6.22 package.  However, I notice that 2.6.20 has
> the file rt61pci.c, and that the latest kernel source does not!

Many of the wireless drivers have been undergoing some rather massive
reorganization as the linux wireless community tries to figure out which
wireless stack they're actually going to base on... The rt61 stuff is now
part of rt2x00.

> However, the rt61pci module does load an function on 2.6.22 for some
> time before becoming unstable and causing the network connection to
> die.  My question is, mainly for Jarod, where can I go from here to
> try resolving the bug?  Can you give any tips on standard procedures
> in this instance?  Thanks!

First up, the good old fashioned Google search for the error string and/or
sub-string to see if its been reported elsewhere. Next up, I like to figure
out where the upstream driver's source tree is and poke around there for
possibly relevant changesets, and ask around on the relevant irc channel
and/or mailing list.

Of course, I also cheat, and jump-start the procedure by asking whomever our
resident in-house subject matter expert is... In this case, I just pinged
John Linville. Didn't ring a bell to him immediately, but upon further
investigation, it looks like there are changesets in the upstream rt2x00 git
repo that we've pulled into the Fedora 8 kernels that may fix it.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=commitdiff;h=130dd8f762f388d2cecee6198e7e372defc30447
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ivd/rt2x00.git;a=commitdiff;h=39e05019631d1d07eb57523de57f48bc4a44a84e

Fix was pulled in post-F8 release though, otherwise I'd suggest giving a
Fedora live CD a spin. Of course, you could probably manually unpack the
latest F8 kernel rpm, drop the bits in place on your system and try booting
that, or install F8 on a usb key, update the kernel and try that... Okay,
could be less pain to just toss those patches atop a local kernel build...
(assuming the patches apply with minimal effort anyhow).

--
Jarod Wilson
[hidden email]

believed to be clean.