Windows Vista drivers (or Netflix watch now on Linux)

I don't understand how *anybody* keeps a Windows system running,
unless they never do anything at all to it.  My laptop has been
running windows for almost two years now, and still works, but I've
only ever added anything to it by USB, and not often that.

I wanted a computer that would run my shiny new Sharp Aquos TV in
1080p, so I got a refurb HP Pavilion, which came with Vista Home
Premium.  I installed Ubuntu Gutsy with no problmes.  I needed a DVI
output to get the 1080p, and the onboard graphics didn't have one, so
I added the cheapest low-profile nvidia card I could find at newegg.

When I put in the new graphics card, it looked like it was going to be
magic -- I plugged in the dvi to hdmi cable into one of the hdmi
inputs on the TV, and both Linux and Windows seemed to recognize
without me fiddling with configuration files that I wanted to use the
whole TV screen, and to be sending 1080p.

Linux is still doing this.

Unfortunately, one day last week I had a DVD from Netflix that my
cheap Apex DVD player wouldn't read, even after I did the windex
thing, so I decided to try playing it in the Pavilion DVD drive.
Neither operating system did this out of the box -- Linux said I
needed more codecs and Windows said I needed a better video driver.
So I gave them both what they said they wanted.  At this point,
Windows looked like it thought it was playing the DVD, but I couldn't
hear the sound.  Linux had problems with Totem and Mplayer, but VLC
would play the DVD pretty well, even though I still missed a bit of a
couple of tracks, and I couldn't figure out how to do the fast forward
or reverse.

The worst thing is that the next time I tried to boot Windows, it went
to 800x600 graphics, and I can't figure out how to tell it to do
1080p.  I have upgraded the video driver (the one I gave it first was
the one that came in the box with the card; now there's one it found
on the internet), but it still won't do 1080p, or play sound.  Linux,
and the HP splash screen, and the boot menu, are all using 1080p, and
Linux is playing sound fine, so I don't see how it can be the
connections.

My guess is that if I could figure out how to downgrade the video
driver back to what was there when I plugged the graphics card in, I
would be hearing sound and seeing 1080p video again, but I have no
idea where Windows Vista puts such things, or how to tell it to do
that.  Does anyone know?

Alternatively, the only thing I need Windows for on that machine is
the Netflix Watch Now, so if somebody knows a way to run that under
Wine or something, then I wouldn't need to figure out anything about
Windows Vista and driver downgrading.  Has anyone figured out how to
do "watch now" on Linux?

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011