re: includes

kristian writes:
> On Nov 30, 2007 1:53 PM, dan moylan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > no includes -- at all -- not even stdio.h -- sorry for not
> > being more explicit.  the build-essential install did the
> > trick.  should i have been able to find this on my own?  i
> > was amazed that they were not there and had no idea as to
> > where to look.

> I think Ubuntu made the decision to not include them, since most
> Desktop users are not programmers :-)  There is documentation about
> this on wiki.ubuntu.com and various other places.  If you hit F1 at
> your Desktop, a help window will come up where you can get lots of
> information, even if you don't have an Internet connection.  Coming
> from Red Hat, you probably wouldn't know all this, so no worries.  But
> now you do!  And knowing is half the battle ... or something like that
> :-P

thanks, post facto i did the F1 trick, and searched under
gcc, then c but didn't find it.  searching c++ found
build-essential, as did just programming.  one just needs
to know how to ask the right question.

i still don't understand why ubuntu would include gcc in
the default installation, but not build-essentials.  but
then maybe i'm not supposed to.

dan

j. daniel moylan
84 harvard ave