Re: The Linux desktop challenge

 I think it is safe to say that I think "cross-over" office is not in the
cards.

This is a home user with modest computer needs, IMHO, easily satisfied by
native Linux and F/OSS. This is the crux of the experiment. If I *need*
crossover office, I may as well give up and put Windows on the machine.

On a further note, philosophically and ideologically speaking, I want to
prove to myself that this class of user can thrive in a Linux environment.
If it proves too hard, then I'll put Windows on it and be done, but I want
to go through the process and see with the eyes of a non-techie.

Is Linux *really* ready for the home desktop? If so, I want to see it. If
not, I want to know what's wrong or missing.