Re: aptitude full-upgrade is superior, or not?

 On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 14:18 -0800, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> I have been using aptitude dist-upgrade (now full-upgrade) for many
> years, and have not experienced any major issues.  What you have to
> keep in mind is that the safe-upgrade (nee plain 'upgrade') will not
> remove packages, ever!  However, this can actually cause issues when
> you *DO* keep moving from revision to revision where package names
> change and/or the become obsoleted or removed.  Thus, if you always
> use full-upgrade, you should not experience any issues.  In the
> unlikely event that something large will be removed accidentally, and
> this have never happened to me, then there lies the issue.

I almost totally agree. I was under the impression that most users
should use safe-upgrade and that dist-upgrade was for upgrading beween
distro releases?

> However, I
> have never seen it happen in almost four years of doing so even while
> running Alpha releases of Ubuntu (as I am right now)...
Damn, I must be an old foggy! I've never, never not had problems! ;)

Then that may be down to the quality of the packages that Ubuntu
creates. Over the years I've had issues with circular dependencies, or
packages that won't install as newer packages they depend on haven't
been uploaded yet (this is on Debian Sid). I've had problem with Ubuntu
in the past, so on my Ubunut laptop where I want suspend/resume to work
all the time I've stopped using development versions of Ubuntu.

> root@khermans-laptop:~# aptitude --version
> aptitude 0.4.9 compiled at Nov 27 2007 12:14:49
> Compiler: g++ 4.2.3 20071123 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.2.2-3ubuntu4)
>
> NCurses version: 5.6
> libsigc++ version: 2.0.17

mtimony@debian:~$ aptitude --version
aptitude 0.4.6.1 compiled at Sep 30 2007 11:05:56
Compiler: g++ 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1-5)

NCurses version: 5.6
libsigc++ version: 2.0.17

--
Mick Timony
--

FORTRAN, "the infantile disorder", by now nearly 20 years old, is hopelessly
inadequate for whatever computer application you have in mind today: it is

believed to be clean.