Who broke audacity?

 I use my Ubuntu Gutsy box for three main things - email via ssh, email via
web, and preserving my cassette music collection via Audacity.
Everything has been working flawlessly, until tonight.   I'd last
successfully recorded stuff two nights ago (Sunday), most of the day.

But today, when I turned on my system, audacity didn't show the normal
device it wants to record from (line 1).  When I told it to record, it
claimed the device was in use.  After a couple rounds of broken record
attempts did I realize the device options were not listed.

I visited Edit > Preferences and discovered the playback and record
drop-down lists were non-functional.

I visited System > Preferences > Sound and tested audio.  It worked fine.

What happened to audacity?   Did some apt-get or aptitude update package
break something from Sunday night, the last time I think I may have
updated stuff?

I tried an aptitude reinstall audacity, and did an rm -rf
~/.audacity-data, but nothing helps.

What happened?

Thanks.

Scott