Re: mpeg4 and other proprietary formats

 jbk wrote:
> F8 now discourages the use of these formats and does not supply the
> codec interpreters to view/hear them.

Well, they've always discouraged them.  F8 came with something called
codec-buddy that would try to educate users about proprietary formats, and
point you to Fluendo.  They will let you download an MP3 plugin for free
(Fluendo is subsidizing the licensing on that one as a service to the
community), and have a way you can legally acquire a license (ie purchase)
for other audio and video codecs.

> I have in the past used ffmpeg to convert to acceptable formats and this
> has worked fine on downloaded files. Is there a similar tool that would
> work on streams from sites such as youtube?

You can still get ffmpeg from a 3rd party repo like rpm.livna.org (they also
have mplayer-plugin, which can play flash videos, either streamed or
downloaded).  To get /all/ the windows codecs, you still need to go to
mplayer's homepage (hosted outside the US for obvious reasons).

F8 comes with gnash, which is a gnu flash-player, and it seems to work ok
for most sites, but the video-playback doesn't seem to work at all.

HTH,
Matt

believed to be clean.