Re: mpeg4 and other proprietary formats

 On Dec 15, 2007 6:10 AM, jbk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> even do that in F8 any longer. So help me with the logic here.
> Redhat and some other distributions will not include in
> their base distributions the codecs for interpreting
> proprietary formats and now point you to a for pay licensing
> entity for these interpreters. But, can you get a license
> for libdvdcss, the most commonly used interpreter? Most
> personally  owned video cameras use proprietary codecs only
> available for another OS. Buying a license to view what I
> already own does not seem legitimate.

Ubuntu has all these codecs in the multiverse repository, which are
provided on ubuntu servers.  So, if you were running Ubuntu, it would
not be an issues.  libdvdcss is tricky, and the only package that
Ubuntu does not retain on their servers.  However, they include a
script which can be run in the default install of any Ubuntu to obtain
the package.

Furthermore, if you really want to pay for codecs, Linspire offers
this mechanism, and in fact, they have licensed the codecs for their
default install if you choose to purchase it that way I believe...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious."

believed to be clean.