Re: DSL provider on the south shore

 On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:30:29 -0500
Mark Richards <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Verizon's ADSL support was horrendously bad, in part because it was
> difficult to find anyone who actually understood the technology.  Old
> monopoly attitudes where customers had no option hence "screw them" were
> also part of the deal.

Last year, my friend's Verizon phone service went out. After a few
days, it came back, but only outbound. After a number of calls, there
was a lot of finger pointing. My friend, finally talked to Verizon's
president's secretary and finally got the phone fixed. He immediately
called Comcast to install Digital Phone. (He had Comcast cable).

Both Verizon and Comcast are large companies, and their support tends
to be dependent upon who you speak to. I've had Caomcast (and
predecessors, ATTBI, MediaOne, Continental CableVision), and I've had
support people who were complete idiots and some who were very
knowledgeable and helpful. Same goes for PC companies, like HP and
Dell. With my wife's old PC, the US support people I contacted on a
specific issue were totally useless, but the guy in Bangalore was able
to provide me with a workable solution.

I'm sure that Bill Horne can provide more insight on Verizon, but I
know they have struggled for years to support high speed Internet
support.
--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group