Re: Which laptop?

 On Dec 21, 2007, at 4:53 PM, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2007 1:39 PM, Jarod Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Why not? X *does* support on-the-fly resolution changes these days...
>> Heck, our X developers have even got hotplug displays with auto-
>> configuration working now in Xorg 7.3. (Ooh, just like Mac OS has
>> done
>> for... 10 years?!? :)
>
> Sure, but it looks all funky on your LCD screen in that case then!

That's not the display that needs to look optimal during a
presentation though. :)

> Additionally, even though it may be possible to just make VGA out
> proper resolution on another xorg screen definition (I haven't tried),
> would you also want to explain this to someone you recommended Linux
> too!?!?!

I suppose not, but it should be possible to have it auto-configured.
At least, the Fedora xorg.conf files these days don't have a single
thing in 'em about monitor refresh, sync, mode, etc., its all done
automagically.

> AFAICT, you can't just plug in your Linux laptop running
> Xorg and have it auto-detect the proper resolution for both VGA out
> and your LCD screen at the same time.

That would be one of the things that we do have working w/our xorg 7.3
build now, at least for some graphics chipsets (definitely with Intel
ones w/the 'intel' driver, not the 'i810' driver, dunno about others).

> Not all projectors are created
> equal either, and may require special refresh/resolution...

True.

--
Jarod Wilson
[hidden email]