htpasswd problem with Comcast PWP

 Hello,

I am trying to set up a password protected website for my son
who is overseas in the military so that we can post pictures,
home movies and news from home for him. I'm using comcast.net
personal web page (PWP) to set up the site.

However, after contacting comcast tech support several times,
they have been absolutely no help in trying to password
protect the website. I finally got out of them that the web
servers were Apache so I figured I could use the .htaccess and
.htpasswd files to protect the site.  Even though I've created
an .htaccess file and successfully uploaded it into the
directory that I want protected (and when I visit the site it
now prompts for a username and password) for some reason I
cannot implement the htpasswd command to add the .htpasswd file.

Every time I initiate the command I receive an error stating
"Command Not Implemented". To run the command I've been using
gftp's "send site command" option.

The tech support people at Comcast have absolutely no idea how
to accomplish the password protection of the site so they have
been no help at all. If I remember right, their old PWP site
builder file manager used to have the option of password
protecting your site or a specific directory but that is no
longer available with the new PWP site builder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this.

Thank you in advance!
Mike

believed to be clean.