Re: RAM speed difference?

 On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 05:35:17PM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I'm pricing out some servers (from Dell) and deciding between their 1955
> blade server and a 2950 2U server.   I learned the 1955 has only 4 RAM
> slots, whereas the 2950 has 8.

Looking at Dell's site[1] (click "Blade Details), the 1955 supports
"Up to 32GB (8 DIMM slots)".  It's been a while since I opened up a
1955, but I doubt they're lying about it.
[1] http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_1955_new?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&redirect=1

> I could go with 10 blades, or 10 2950 machines.   The benefit of the 2950
> would be more slots for RAM and, with its architecture, easier to manage
> and expand (I work with two of the 2950 machines anyway, and have seen
> the 1955).

Since the RAM issue is moot, I'd be thinking about storage options,
expandability, rack space, power, and cooling.  It sounds like you
really have three options, the 1955s, 1950s, or 2950s.  The blades
take up the least space (7U), but you're limited to 2.5" drives (two
per blade) and expensive blade-specific expansion cards.  The 1950s
and 2950s would take up 10U or 20U respectively, but allow you to use
2.5" or 3.5" drives and standard PCIe cards.  The blades are probably
a win in terms of efficiency, but only if most of them will be powered
on most of the time.  Blade enclosures (in general) tend to waste a
good bit of power even when all the blades are powered down.

Short answer: if this is a build-it-and-forget-it environment, I'd go
for the blades.  If you're likely to be upgrading and reconfiguring
later, the more standard rackmounts are probably a better option.

--
Matt Brodeur                                                     RHCE
[hidden email]                         http://www.nexttime.com