Re: using dump?

 I don't remember all the details of how dump(1) works,
and I don't know if the Linux implementation differs
at all from the Solaris version.

However, I can tell you that dump does(1) not rewind
the tape.  If you use /dev/st0, then the device driver
in the kernel rewinds the tape after dump(1) exits, and
if you use /dev/nst0, then the device driver doesn't
rewind the tape.

I use Amanda to manage my dumps after rsync'ing
them to a central disk-based file server. Amanda
defaults to using gnu tar to create on-disk images
of the backups, then writes as many of those images
to tape as will fit on a single tape. Amanda also
maintains a database of what's in each image and
which images are on each tape in what order.
Amanda assumes you're using the nst0 device driver,
and it manages the tape changer with mtx(1) and the
tape drive itself with mt(1).