Re: mixed case URL's

 John Abreau wrote:
> I actually have encountered problems with case, where I had to deal
> with users who didn't use case consistently in their web pages; they'd
> create a Foo.Htm page and then link to foo.htm. Foo.htm and FOO.HTM.
> They'd create these on their desktop machine and test them locally
> with personal web sharing, or whatever XP calls it, and all case variations
> would serve the same foo.htm page. Then they'd come to me convinced
> that the production web server was broken.

You just have to love how Windows screws up with casing -- or more
importantly, how a case-insensitive system interacts with a
case-sensitive one. I always tell my Windows users to lowercase
everything to avoid conflicts when they transfer their content to the
Linux-based web servers.

Even more fun is replicating between Windows and Linux with MySQL. If
you name a table 'FooTable' and write a query like "INSERT INTO footable
...", it works fine under Windows but breaks the replication to Linux.
Similar situation with the name of the databases. And a major pain in
the butt to fix.

-Fred

believed to be clean.