mysql backup quesiton

 Guys,

I need to backup my mysql database. Doing the 5min google search on the
topic, it looks like mysqldump is the tool of choice. The bit which I
don't like about mysqldump, is that it generates an ascii .sql script
which if invoked on a fresh mysql database, will recreate the database.
This seems a bit like a sledge hammer aproach. Are there any database
synchoronization tools or database mirroring tools which will do an
rsync like operation between databases? The backup scheme I have for my
subversion repositories is using svnsync which I like, since it
basically keeps two copies of the repository around, one a mirror of the
other. The same for a database would be great, and thus ever 24 hours, I
would only have to update the new content in the database, instead of
dump out everything into an ascii file...

Thanks for your comments on this topic in advance.

Cheers. Steve.

believed to be clean.