Re: mysql backup quesiton

 On Jan 3, 2008 9:17 AM, Stephen Adler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to backup my mysql database. Doing the 5min google search on the
> topic, it looks like mysqldump is the tool of choice. The bit which I
> don't like about mysqldump, is that it generates an ascii .sql script
> which if invoked on a fresh mysql database, will recreate the database.

This is not entirely accurate.  Assuming you are using a recent
version of MySQL, it will not recreate the database, but it will drop
and recreate all of the tables in the database.  The --opt option to
mysqldump is the default since MySQL 4.1 (IIRC).  This option will add
drop table statements (--add-drop-table) to the dump.  If you want to
avoid this, run the command with --skip-opt and -t.  This will
generate only insert statements.  Can I ask why you are worried about
recreating the tables?

> Are there any database
> synchronization tools or database mirroring tools which will do an
> rsync like operation between databases?
8><
> The same for a database would be great, and thus ever 24 hours, I
> would only have to update the new content in the database, instead of
> dump out everything into an ascii file...

It sounds like what you really want is to replicate the database.
Will any apps actually be using this second instance of the db?
Perhaps describe in more detail what you want to do.

believed to be clean.