Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL Throughdown! Teams?

 Your post sort of states why I think this would be
[fun|good|useful|educational]

Everyone has a benchmark and for some reason it never really compares
apples to apples and oranges to oranges. There is always some aspect of it
that isn't coherent.

I think a "real life" benchmark that can be (is) run against MySQL and
PostgreSQL on the same machines, and not just the huge power servers, but
the conservative median servers that are used in development and small to
medium companies would be useful for a lot of people.

The problem with TPC is that, last I recall, MySQL did not support enough
of the SQL standard to implement it.

Lastly there is an amount of real experience that is gained by doing this
sort of thing on your own. It is one thing to read the results of someone
else's benchmark, but it is quite another thing to be writing/performing
the benchmark and seeing the effects on your own and really equating the
nature of the test and results. Having the chance to tune the queries for
better results and seeing the effect of different query strategies.
Professionally, I have not benchmarked MySQL in a few years and I'm going
to do it for my own edification. It would be cool if more people can get
involved and make it a broader and more comprehensive test.